So I know a lot of folks like to do resolutions, but something I began back in 2009 was a year in review. This helps me remember where I have been and where I am going. Hope you enjoy hearing some of the more influential and important things of my 2010. Feel Free to use this as well to help you look back over some of those etched in time moments from 2010.
1) What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before? I got married to my best friend!
2) Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? No I did not and I’m not really in the business for resolutions but starting more a revolution in my life, marriage and ministry
3) Did anyone close to you give birth? My dear friends Jarrod & Jennifer Heathcoat had a son.
4) Did anyone close to you die? My beautiful & incredible grandmother Mae passed away this June
5) What countries did you visit? Visited parts of the Mexican Rivera on our Honeymoon
6) What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010? Better health & better boundaries. So this isn’t do to lacking but to discipline. So I will see my self more disciplined this coming year
7) What date(s) from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? To many. January 17th when I asked Steve (Stacies dad for her hand in marriage), March 6th I purposed to my best friend and she said yes. August 14th we said our do’s and began the next chapter in our life!
8) What was your biggest achievement of the year? I would say becoming more focused & a little less selfish and began to pursue the needs and wants of another person.
9) Did you suffer illness or injury? I was very sick the last day of our honeymoon where I ended up in the ER a few days later for fluids.
10) What was the best thing you bought? I have to say two things…. One was Stacie’s wedding ring! The other was our gym membership (this will have rewards and reap a benefit in our lives for years to come)
11) Whose behavior merited celebration? Jarrod. Not going into tons of details but he faced some pretty nasty trials this year and stayed a very faithful man of God to his wife and his church. I really respect him and how he has carried himself this year.
12) Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? This is silly but I have to say Miley Cyrus. Check out my blog here for more reasons why.
13) Where did most of your money go? Well I would say most of it was to getting our new home ready and on our wedding.
14) What did you get really, really, really excited about? My new home… hahaha kind of but getting share that home with my beautiful and amazing bride!
15) What song will always remind you of 2010? A page is turned by Bebo Norman. Click here to hear the song. If you were at our wedding you will know why. Thanks Again Josh
16) Compared to this time last year, are you: Wiser and if so how? I would say yes. I am much more patient, slower to speak and quicker to listen. I am drawing closer and closer to the current will God has for me in this time of my life
17) What do you wish you’d done more of? Read more and wrote more. I also wish I had rested and enjoyed the mountains more.
18) What do you wish you’d done less of? Eating out.
19) How did you spend Christmas? With my one and only love, and skyped with her family in Wisconsin. It was an super fun time.
20) Did you fall in love in 2010? … do I really need to say this one again. YES!!! Married her
21) What was something you couldn’t live with out in 2010? My truck getting me back and forth to see Stacie in Fort Collins
22) What was the best book you read? Invitation to a Journey by Robert Mulholland Jr.
23) What was your greatest musical discovery? A re-introduction to Michael Gungor and the Gungor Band, and NeedToBreathe
23) What did you want and get? I got an iPad…then gave it back realizing it wasn’t a ‘we’ gift but a ‘me’ gift.
24) What did you want and not get? A new Tattoo
25) What is one thing you were given this year that you treasure? My wedding ring. Every time I see my hand and that ring I am reminded and flooded with so many thoughts of Gods faithfulness, His love for me and the promise that He will always provide.
26) What is one thing you gave to someone else that they treasure? A chance to a young man in our youth ministry to express his creativity through art and find a new way of worshiping God
27) Who is one figure you looked up to this year and why? This is a tough one. I would have to say Henri Nouwen. He was an author and pastor in Canada. His writing rocks me to the core and knowing bits of his story he had many struggles in life that he over came through the dedication to God and His love.
28) How would you describe your spiritual life in 2010? Trying to drink from a fire hose!!!!! Overwhelming and incredible, but sadly so crazy and fast I know I have missed a lot of God moments because I wasn’t paying attention and haven’t made the time to just look back and remember those times.
29) What kept you sane? Stacie would have to be my answer for this. She is my place of sanity and calmness. She helps me find where I am and where I really need to be going.
30) Who did you miss? My grandmother for sure. I do miss being around and close to a lot of my old college buddies and ministry friends.
31) A valuable life lesson you learned in 2010. God cares about every single there is about my life. It all matters to Him, because it impacts me and effects me along with others I come into contact with.
32) What did you gain this year? A wife, best friend, helpmate, challenger, encourager and so much more than I could ever fully know.
33) What did you lose this year? I believe I have lost a lot of selfish ambition to be a certain way and to think a certain way.
34) Who was the best new person you met? So this review really ended up being all about Stacie. She will always be the most influential and best person I’ll ever know. She has forever changed my life for the better.
35) Quote either a song lyric/quote/ bible verse that sums up your year. Jeremiah 6.16 “Stand at the crossroads and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.” Life is a journey full of paths and crossroads, some leading to life and some to death. I want to follow Christ in that which leads to life and life to its fullest.
Hope you enjoyed this year in review for 2010. Instead of just passing by 2010 and looking towards 2011 take some time and look over your year in review to see who God has brought in your life, what things have changed you for the better/worse. Learn from your last year, don’t just hope for the new year.